Care of Pearls
Pearls are meant to be worn - but they need a little care.
As a general rule ‘Pearls are the last thing you put on, and the first thing you take off’.
- Clean your pearls by wiping them carefully with a damp soft cloth and letting them dry on a flat surface.
- Never clean pearls in an ultrasonic or steam cleaner as these can damage the pearls.
- Pearls can be damaged by perfume, cosmetics and hair products. It is advised to put your pearls on after applying your make-up and styling your hair.
- The lustre on the pearl can be affected by perspiration. When you remove your pearls, wipe the pearls with a soft cloth before storing them.
- Pearls are not a hard stone – they can be scratched by other jewellery. It is safer to store your pearls in their own soft pouch or bag.
- Pearls need some moisture or they can dehydrate. Never store your pearls in a plastic bag where they might dry out. It is better to wear your pearls than store them away.
- Take off your pearls before swimming or showering – not only do the pearls dislike the chemicals, but the water can cause the silk thread to discolour or stretch.
- If your pearls are exposed to chemicals such as detergents, fruit juices, or vinegar, make sure to wipe your pearls clean as soon as possible.
- To avoid breakages, we suggest that you consider restringing your pearls every 1 to 2 years. This is a specialist task but is not too costly.
Enjoy your pearls and remember ‘the pearl is the Queen of gems, and the gem of Queens’.